Before arrival in Italy

Visa Application

Depending on your nationality and the length of your visit, you will need to apply for a visa to enter Italy legally. Applications should be made to the Italian consular authorities in your country of residence.

To find out if you need a visa, please query the database Visa for Italy to verify whether you need a Visa and the specific requirements for the application



When applying for a Research Visa you need the following documents

  • A recent passport-size photograph
  • Valid travel document whose expiry date is three months longer than that of the visa requested
  •  "Nulla osta" (authorization) for research from the relevant SUI (immigration one-counter shop - for stays longer than three months)
  • Documentation certifying that the applicant is a Researcher employed by a foreign university or research institution (for short stays)
  • Hosting agreement concluded with the applicant by the Italian accredited University or Research Institute

The University of Siena will apply  for your “nulla osta” at the SUI (Sportello Unico Immigrazione), but before a hosting agreement has to be signed between you (the researcher) and the Department that hosts your research period. The hosting agreement defines the research project, previously approved by the Department as  hosting organization, that the researcher will be entitled to carry out.

To prepare the hosting agreement the Unisi Department needs the following documents/information of yours
•    Passport
•    The name of your University Degree, the University which issued the degree and the date you get the degree
•    The title an duration of the research project you intend to carry out at Unisi
•    A declaration issued by your home university about the stipend you will be receiving during your stay in Italy
•    Accommodation statement in Siena (contract, hotel reservation…)



As part of its mission to assist international research scientists, the Euraxess Italy network has published housing information for visiting researchers in which you will find useful information about how to rent accommodation in Italy.

You can also consult here the information provided by the University of Siena for international students and researchers

Formalities for people hosting foreign guests (Cessione di fabbricato)

According to Italian law, anyone who gives hospitality or rents a property to someone else (Italian, EU, EEA and Non-EU citizens) for a period longer than 30 days (uninterrupted), must declare it to the Local Police Headquarter (Questura) within 48 hours. The form Comunicazione di cessione di fabbricato must be filled out and signed by the property owner or by the tenant in case of a rent contract. In addition, it may be requested for the permit of stay.

  • Non EU citizens  the Cessione di fabbricato communication must be done by 48 hours regardless the duration of the stay and for each Non Eu citizen.
  • Italian/EU/EEA and Swiss citizens The Cessione di fabbricato communication must be done only if they stay for more than 30 days without a registered rent/lease contract (e.g. if they are guests for more than 30 days).

Any person living in Italy must have health insurance to cover eventual medical costs. Procedures vary depending on your status and nationality.
Non EU citizens must hold a valid health insurance covering the whole duration of their stay to apply for their residence permit

This can be obtained through:

  • Private health insurance

You can sign a contract in Italy or abroad with any private insurance company, which covers healthcare in Italy.  It is advisable to have a copy of the policy endorsed by an Italian Embassy or Consulate.

You can also get private insurance in Italy from an Italian Insurance Company

  • Register with the National Health System

Read  the general overview provided by the Euraxess Italy Network

For information on how to register with the National Health System (SSN is the Italian acronym) and about the services offered consult the guide published by the Azienda USL Toscana Sud Est.