On arrival to Siena

Residence permit

To live in Italy for a period of more than 90 days, non EU researchers need a valid residence permit.

The formalities you will need to undertake differ depending on your status and your visa.

Within 8 working days from the arrival in Italy you must apply for the permit of stay.
 A fee must be paid, it could take a couple of months or more to get the permit.

The Unisi International Office will made an appointment for you to apply at the Sportello Unico Immigrazione at local Prefettura.

To apply for the residence permit at the Prefecture the following documents are requested:

  • a revenue stamp of 16 Euro (marca da bollo) to be purchased at the tobacco shop (tabaccheria)
  • a copy of the passport and the visa
  • a copy of the housing contract
  • The original of the Hosting agreement (Covenzione di accoglienza).

At the appointment in the Prefecture

  • International researchers will receive the tax identification number (Codice Fiscale), an individual tax identification code required in Italy for all sort of procedures. If you already have it please inform the officer of Sportello Unico Immigrazione
  • International Researchers who come to Italy for the first time and apply for a permit of stay of one year or more must sign the Accordo di Integrazione (Integration agreement).

After the appointment in the Prefecture, you must go to the Post Office (Piazza Matteotti) to send the request.

When you present your application at the post office, you will need to pay:

€30 for the postal service;

€70.46 for the issue of a one-year electronic residence permit

Tax identification number - codice fiscale

The tax code (Codice fiscale) is an individual tax identification code required in Italy for all sorts of procedures e.g. opening a bank account, applying for the national health service, renting a flat etc.

It is free of charge and it is issued immediately by the Italian Revenue Agency (Agenzia delle Entrate). It is issued only once and it never expires.


After arriving in Siena, you can apply for a tax code at the "Agenzia delle Entrate" (Sportello Decentrato Palazzo Piccolomini)

Via Banchi di Sotto, 52 53100 Siena (Tel. 0577 547111)

Opening hours: the desk opens on Wednesday from 9:00 to 12:00 upon appointement


You also could fill out the application form for a tax code and send it together with a copy of your passport or ID card to the following email address: dp.siena.utsiena@agenziaentrate.it