1989-present - Experimental research on novel natural as well synthetic modulators of ionic currents in smooth muscle cells (patch-clamp technique), in vitro antioxidant properties of some phenol derivatives, cyclooxygenase activity of hemoglobin and peroxidases, interaction of taurine and related compounds with mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation.
• Oct./Dec. 1989 - Department of Biochemistry, TrinityCollege, Dublin, Ireland. Dr. T. Mantle's laboratory. ERASMUS Fellowship (ICP-89-I-0062, EU).
• Nov. 1990/Jan. 1991 - Department of Biochemistry, TrinityCollege, Dublin, Ireland. Dr. M.P. Murphy's laboratory. ERASMUS Fellowship (ICP-90-I-0072/12, EU).
• Feb./Apr. 1993 - Institute of Physiology, BulgarianAcademy of Sciences, Sofia, Bulgaria. Prof. K.K. Boev's laboratory. TEMPUS Fellowship (JEP-0789-92/93 EU).
• Nov. 1993/May 1994 - Research Associate at the Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Southern Illinois University, Springfield, IL, USA. Prof. E. Giacobini's laboratory.
• Mar./Sep. 1995 - Research Associate at the Department of Pharmacology, University of Cambridge, U.K. Dr. B.A. Callingham's laboratory.
FELLOWSHIPS IN ITALY:
• Apr. 1996/Mar. 1998 - Research Fellowship from the University of Siena.
• Aug 1997/Gen. 1999 - Technical assistant in the Institute of Pharmacological Sciences, University of Siena, Italy, under the joint project Italy-Bulgaria entitled “Chemical and physiopathological relationships in cerebral ischaemia: development of new therapeutic strategies”.
• Feb. 1999 - Oct. 2002"Assegno di Ricerca per l'Area Scientifica Farmacologica" (D.R. n. 449 del 21-7-1998) in the Institute of Pharmacological Sciences, University of Siena, Italy.
• Nov. 2002 – Researcher at the University of Siena, Italy.
• Dic. 1996 - Member of the Italian Pharmacological Society.
• Nov. 2004 - Dec. 2012 – Member of Comitato per la Didattica del Corso di Laurea in Chimica e Tecnologia Farmaceutiche, LM e LS.
• Jun. 2015/Feb. 2017 – Member of the Pharmacology Research & Perspectives Editorial Board (Wiley).
SCIENTIFIC AND ORGANIZING COMMITTEE OF CONGRESSES
• 2004-2010 - SEMINARIO NAZIONALE PER DOTTORANDI IN FARMACOLOGIA E SCIENZE AFFINI, Siena, Certosa di Pontignano.
INVITED LECTURES: 1
• 2007-2010: - Principi di statistica e interpretazione scientifica dell’analisi statistica (Ph.D. school in Physiology, pharmacology, molecular and cellular toxicology).
• 2003/present: - Saggi e Dosaggi Farmacologici (Corso di Laurea in Chimica e Tecnologia Farmaceutiche);
• 2003/present: - Statistica Medica (Master Avanzato di II livello in Scienza e Tecnologia Cosmetiche).
SUPERVISION OF Ph.D. STUDENTS: 5
EXTERNAL EXAMINER/REFEREE: 6
RESEARCH PROJECT FUNDED
Agency: Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs - Executive programme of scientific and technological co-operation between Italy and South Africa. Period: 2005-2007. Title: "Investigations of isolates from the Hyacinthaceae family for cardiovascular activity". Principal investigators: Dr. Fabio Fusi, Ph.D., and Prof. Dulcie Mulholland, University of KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa.
For the exchange of researchers
Agency: Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs - Significant research projects selected within the frame of the IV Executive programme of scientific and technological co-operation between Italy and Vietnam. Period: 2009-2011. Title: "Discovery of novel cardiovascular active agents from selected Vietnamese medicinal plants ". Principal investigators: Dr. Fabio Fusi e Dr. Nguyen Manh Cuong, Hanoi University of Pharmacy, Vietnam.
Year 2010: € 35.000.
Year 2011: € 30.000.
Contract for research project with Rottapharm S.p.A.. Title: “Effect of Andolast on KCa3.1 currents in RBL-2H3 cells”.